Greater Victoria is home to a number of exceptional golf courses. They include Bear Mountain, Olympic View, Uplands and the Victoria Golf Club.
Other popular courses are Arbutus Ridge, Cedar Hill, Cordova Bay, Gorge Vale, Highland Pacific and Royal Colwood.
Golf Courses in Victoria
Victoria and its surrounding regions on Vancouver Island offer wonderful golf courses. Some of them are open to the public, while others are private and reserved for members only.
Victoria’s Top Public Courses
The following public courses, in our opinion, are the best in the Greater Victoria region. (For a list of top courses in Metro Vancouver and the Lower Mainland, see the Vancouversbestplaces.com website.)
- Par 70 | 6152 yards
- 3515 Telegraph Road, Cobble Hill
- Arbutus Ridge Golf Club offers a highly-rated golf course with stunning views of Vancouver Island and the ocean.
- Visit the Arbutus Ridge website for more information.
- Mountain Course: Par 71 | 6849 yards
- Valley Course: Par 71 | 6807 yards
- 1999 Country Club Way, Victoria
- Bear Mountain Resort features two excellent and scenic golf courses designed by Jack Nicklaus. The Mountain course is more difficult, with interesting terrain, narrow fairways and steep elevation changes. In contrast, the Valley course features wider fairways and larger greens with a simpler design.
- For more details, check out the Bear Mountain website.
- Par 67 | 5200 yards
- 1400 Derby Road, Victoria
- A short but well-maintained 18-hole municipal golf course. The place also features a nice 3.5 kilometre walking trail that goes around the course.
- See our Cedar Hill Golf article for more information.
- Par 71 | 6583 yards
- 5333 Cordova Bay Road, Victoria
- The Bay course makes for a relaxing round of golf with amazing waterfront views and pristine conditions. There’s also a fun 9-hole par 3 course and a separate 9-hole putting course.
- Visit the Cordova Bay website for details.
- Par 71 | 6603 yards
- 450 Creed Road, Victoria
- With a course that’s open throughout the year, Highlands Pacific features a tough layout nestled in a beautiful setting.
- Visit the Highland Pacific Golf website for more information.
- Par 72 | 6600 yards
- 643 Latoria Road, Victoria
- Located in a forest, the Olympic View golf course features tree-lined fairways, two waterfalls and lots of wildlife to admire.
- For details, check out the Olympic View Golf website.
Victoria’s Top Private Courses
The following courses are among the best in the Greater Victoria area. However, unlike the courses listed earlier in this article, the courses below are private. Members and their guests are welcome to enjoy the various amenities that each club offers.
- Par 72 | 6820 yards
- 1005 Craigflower Road, Victoria
- A well-maintained course with challenging and unique hole layouts. Tee times were for members only as of the summer of 2021, but public tee times may become available.
- For more information, click Gorge Vale Golf Club.
- Par 70 | 6721 yards
- 629 Goldstream Avenue, Victoria
- A private course designed in 1913, Royal Colwood offers a traditional layout with long fairways, tall trees and good conditions.
- Visit the Royal Colwood website for details.
- Par 70 | 6420 yards
- 3300 Cadboro Bay Road, Victoria
- Founded in 1922, the traditional golf course is mostly flat and easy to walk for all ages.
- For additional information, click Uplands Golf Club.
Victoria Golf Club
- Par 70 | 6156 yards
- 1110 Beach Drive, Victoria
- The Victoria Golf Club is Canada’s oldest golf course. It features a gorgeous links-style design along the ocean, and it’s sometimes open to members of other clubs.
- Visit the Victoria Golf Club website for details.
For a list of the best courses that the Metro Vancouver region has to offer, click Vancouver’s Top Golf Courses.
A great fundraising event is the Ronald McDonald House Vancouver Island Golf Tournament. Taking place in Victoria in the summer, it raises money for Ronald McDonald House which is a place that people in need can stay while family members receive medical attention at a Vancouver hospital.
Other articles that may be of interest include the following: