Being a major Canadian tourist destination, Victoria is home to numerous hotels of all kinds and standards. Below is a list of some that we recommend.
CORONAVIRUS IMPACT ON VICTORIA HOTELS
In the spring of 2020 a number of major Victoria hotels closed their doors temporarily due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 virus. The Fairmont Empress, Inn at the Laurel Point and Hotel Grand Pacific all ceased operations, but then later reopened. All other hotels have also been negatively impacted to varying degrees.
Between January and April of 2021, the Empress is again closed, but this time in part due to $3 million worth of restorations.
Places to Stay in Victoria
Whether you’re looking for a fancy place or more affordable accommodations, below is where you’ll find them.
Some of the finest hotels in Victoria include the following:
- Abigail’s Hotel – an “adults only” boutique bed-and-breakfast-style hotel located at 906 McClure Street in downtown Victoria just off Quadra Street by Christ Church Cathedral.
- The Empress Hotel – Victoria’s most famous hotel is located right in the heart of the Inner Harbour at 721 Government Street.
- Inn at the Laurel Point – a beautiful hotel on the water in downtown Victoria at the edge of the Inner Harbour at 680 Montreal Street. It’s socially responsible and BC’s first carbon neutral hotel. (Pets-allowed rooms available.)
- Hotel Grand Pacific – a beautiful modern hotel located at 463 Belleville Street in the Inner Harbour.
- Delta Ocean Pointe Resort – a large modern hotel located at the edge of the Songhees facing downtown Victoria and accessed via the Johnson Street Bridge. (Pets-allowed rooms available.)
- Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa – a luxurious resort located at 849 Verdier Avenue in Brentwood Bay not far from Butchart Gardens.
- Magnolia Hotel & Spa – a luxury boutique hotel right in the heart of downtown at 623 Courtney Street. This hotel is ranked as one of the best in Canada by TripAdvisor.
- Oak Bay Beach Hotel – a fancy modern hotel located at 1175 Beach Drive in Oak Bay. (Pets-allowed rooms available.)
- Victoria Regent Waterfront Hotel & Suites – a luxurious hotel located at 1234 Wharf Street in downtown Victoria.
In addition to luxury hotels, Victoria also has a wide variety of mid-range hotels including the following:
- Best Western Plus Inner Harbour – a nice hotel located at 412 Quebec Street just one block west of the Legislative Buildings in the Inner Harbour.
- Coast Harbourside Hotel & Marina – an oceanfront hotel located at 146 Kingston Street a short distance from the heart of downtown.
- Hotel Rialto – one of Victoria’s finest mid-range boutique-style hotels located at 653 Pandora Avenue in downtown Victoria.
- Oswego Hotel – a boutique hotel located at 500 Oswego Street in the heart of downtown. (Pets-allowed rooms available.)
Nice Basic Hotels
Good two-star hotels in Victoria include the following:
- Accent Inn – a small local chain hotel located at 3233 Maple Street close to Mayfair Shopping Mall and about 4 km from the Inner Harbour.
- Arbutus Inn – on the highway at 2898 Douglas Street just over a 2-km drive from the heart of downtown. (Closed temporarily due to COVID-19 with reopening plans to be confirmed.)
- Helm’s Inn – located at 600 Douglas Street downtown close to Beacon Hill Park.
- Robin Hood Motel – a basic motel with free parking at 136 Gorge Road East about 2.5 km from downtown and the Inner Harbour.
For young folk on a tight budget, Victoria’s International Youth Hostel is a popular place and conveniently located at 516 Yates Street in the heart of downtown. (Closed temporarily due to COVID-19, but hopefully reopening in May of 2021.)
Other articles that may be of interest include the following: