Canada Day is on July 1st every year. Lots of family-friendly events take place in the Greater Victoria region in celebration of the holiday.
Canada Day in Victoria
In normal years, when things aren’t cancelled due to COVID-19, there are plenty of Canada Day celebrations in Victoria and its surrounding regions. There are usually street festivals in downtown, special events at local attractions and beautiful fireworks that light up the night sky.
Canada Day takes place on Friday, July 1st, in 2022. Fortunately, there are far more events and activities to enjoy this year than there have been over the last couple of years.
City of Victoria Canada Day Event
The main Canada Day event in Victoria is usually put together by the Blue Coast Event Group and the City of Victoria. After two consecutive years without large in-person Canada Day celebrations, Victoria’s main July 1st event returns with in-person activities in 2022.
This year the Canada Day event takes place on Friday, July 1st, at Ship Point in Victoria’s Inner Harbour. A street closure usually happens between Humboldt and Belleville from around noon until around 8:00 pm or later.
The 2022 event features a multicultural street festival, live entertainment and a fireworks display. The street festival begins at 12:00 pm. The main stage offers live performances from 4:00 pm onward, and the fireworks display concludes the night. This year, the fireworks are set to Lekwungen (First Nation’s) music instead of the national anthem.
For more information about the Blue Coast Event Group’s Canada Day celebrations visit the Canada Day Victoria website.
2022 Event Schedule
The following is the schedule of events for Victoria’s main Canada Day event in 2022.
- 12:00 pm – Opening Ceremonies with Lekwungen Traditional Dancers and the Victoria Children’s Choir
- 12:35 pm – Music with Don Alder
- 1:15 pm – Veselka Ukrainian Dancers
- 1:30 pm – Kalyna Ukrainian Choir
- 2:00 pm – Music with the Capital City Syncopators
- 2:30 pm – Chinese Lion Dancers
- 3:00 pm – Music with Claire Coupland
- 4:00 pm – Music with Garret T. Willie
- 5:00 pm – Music with Joyce N’Sana
- 6:00 pm – Pablo Cardenas & the West Coast Cuban All-Stars
- 7:00 pm – Music with Vox Rea
- 8:00 pm – Marafani World Beat
- 9:00 pm – Music with Jesse Roper
- 10:20 pm – Fireworks
There are typically a few other special events to check out on the Canada Day long weekend each year. Popular events and places to visit include the following:
- Butchart Gardens – the beautiful attraction hosts concerts on Friday and Saturday nights in the summer most years. There are also usually fireworks on Saturdays. In 2022 there are summer concerts at Butchart Gardens on the Canada Day weekend. However, there won’t be any fireworks this year.
- Canada Day Market – a market with a variety of vendors takes place at Ship Point over the July holiday long weekend. In 2022 the market runs from July 1st to 3rd. It opens at 10:00 am on all three days. On the Friday and Saturday the market runs until 10:30 pm, but on the Sunday it runs until just 6:00 pm.
- Gorge Canada Day Picnic – a popular event on Canada Day happens along Gorge Waterway Park in Saanich. Festivities in 2022 start at 8:30 am and run until 4:00 pm. There’s a pancake breakfast and a kids zone, along with over 60 market vendors, a car show, multiple entertainment stages and more.
For information about celebrations in Metro Vancouver, click Canada Day in Metro Vancouver.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following: