Mother’s Day is on May 14th in 2023. Celebrate your mother by taking her out for brunch or to one of several events in Victoria.
Things to do on Mother’s Day in Victoria
There are usually lots of different things to do on Mother’s Day in the Greater Victoria region. In 2020 and 2021, however, most indoor events and large gatherings didn’t take place because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, a lot more happened in 2022. There are many events taking place in 2023 as well.
One popular activity on Mother’s Day is to go out for brunch at local restaurants. There are also several attractions and events that are worth checking out.
Events and Attractions on Mother’s Day
There are many beautiful places to spend time with your mother. Some attractions offer special events for Mother’s Day. If the weather is good, it’s also a good opportunity to spend some time in nature in Victoria’s wonderful gardens.
Some popular Mother’s Day events and places of interest in 2023 are listed below.
- Conservatory of Music – a Mother’s Day tradition that happens most years at the Victoria Conservatory of Music located at 900 Johnson Street. The Mother’s Day Musical Garden Tour takes place on both the Saturday and Sunday in 2023 from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. The event features live music and access to the gardens and plant sale. Tickets are available online and cost about $40 each.
- Hills to Shore Artists Tour – a group of artists in the Gordon Head area open their studios to the public on the Saturday and Sunday of the Mother’s Day Weekend in 2023. It’s a fun and interesting series of places to take your mom, and an exceptional opportunity to buy her some beautiful local art.
In addition to the above, there are lots of great parks, gardens and tourist attractions to take Mom to if the weather is good. For ideas about other places to visit, check out the following:
Places for Brunch and Afternoon Tea
Taking your mom out to eat is a popular tradition on Mother’s Day. Victoria is home to many highly-rated restaurants, some of which offer brunch menus on the occasion. Some venues offer a special Mother’s Day Brunch. Others offer a special Afternoon Tea.
Victoria Mother’s Day Brunches
A few of the best places to enjoy brunch on the Sunday are listed below.
- Oak Bay Beach Hotel – the hotel at 1175 Beach Drive offers brunch with an ocean view. In 2023, mothers also get a gift to take home. Seating is in the Grand Lobby at 10:00 and 10:30 am as well as at 1:00 and 1:30 pm. The cost is about $130 for adults and $60 for children ages 2 and above. The buffet menu features oysters, omelettes, steak, pasta, bacon and more.
- Fairmont Empress – the Q at the Empress Hotel restaurant hosts a Mother’s Day brunch every year. In 2023, there are two separate Mother’s Day dining events on May 14th. One is a brunch in the venue’s Crystal Ballroom, while the other is an afternoon tea in the Lobby Lounge. Both events run from 9:30 am until 4:00 pm and cost $120 for adults and $75 for children ages 6 to 12.
- Inn at Laurel Point – the Aura Waterfront Restaurant and Patio is located inside the Inn at Laurel Point which is at 680 Montreal Street. The Laurel Point offers a Mother’s Day Tea in 2023. The event runs between 11:30 am and 1:45 pm for $65 per person (plus taxes). Options include fruit scones, several meat sandwiches, sweet desserts and teas.
For ideas about other places to take your mother for lunch or dinner, see our article about Restaurants in Victoria.
Victoria Mother’s Day Afternoon Teas
A few of the best places to enjoy Afternoon Tea on the Sunday are listed below.
- Abkhazi Teahouse – a Mother’s Day High Tea takes place at Abkhazi Garden. In 2023 it’s happening on both May 13th and 14th. The exact menu and costs for this year are to be confirmed. Based on the Spring High Tea, expect multiple courses with all sorts of scones, sandwiches, salads and desserts.
- Butchart Gardens – the garden at 800 Benvenuto Avenue hosts a popular Mother’s Day Afternoon Tea. In 2023, the event takes place in the garden’s Dining Room Restaurant from 11:00 am until 4:00 pm on Mother’s Day. Admission to Butchart Gardens is required, and the meal costs an additional $50 or so per person. In 2023 the menu includes sandwiches, pastries, sweet treats and more.
For a detailed list of things to do in the Metro Vancouver region on the same weekend, click Mother’s Day in Vancouver.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Victoria Day Weekend in Victoria
- Thrifty Foods Victoria Day Parade
- Parks & Gardens in Victoria
- Victoria Festivals and Events Calendar
- Top Attractions in Victoria
- Hotels in Victoria
- Restaurants in Victoria