A free attraction at Victoria’s Centennial Square, Lights of Wonder is a Christmas event with beautiful illuminations and live entertainment.
Downtown Victoria’s Lights of Wonder
A recent addition to the holiday season, Lights of Wonder made its first appearance in 2019. The 2020 edition was cancelled due to the pandemic, but the event returned in 2021.
In 2022 the event runs from December 15th to the 31st.
Lights of Wonder takes place at Centennial Square. The plaza is located at 1 Centennial Square downtown, right near both City Hall and Chinatown. Around 500,000 lights are used to create the displays which brighten the area with bedazzling trees as well various artistic creations.
It’s estimated that up to around 75,000 people visit Lights of Wonder in a good year. Admission is free for everyone!
The 2022 Event
Lights of Wonder runs from December 15th to 31st in 2022. On Fridays and Saturdays it’s open from 4:00 to 10:00 pm and on other days of the week it closes at 9:00 pm. As mentioned above, there’s no admission fee or ticket required to check out the event.
The first night of the event on December 15th includes a blessing and a performance from the Songhees Nation. The final night on New Year’s Eve is extended so the event closes after midnight rather than the usual time. This means visitors can ring in 2023 while amongst all the lights.
When visiting Lights of Wonder, the main attraction is the numerous displays of coloured lights around the square. There are typically trees covered in lights, artificial displays like an electric blue orca, a lit-up archway to walk through, and more.
There are also a couple vendors that sell hot chocolate and snacks, as well as a donation booth. The donation booth has a recipient each night that all donations go to. In 2022 the different organizations taking part include The Soup Kitchen, BC Children’s Hospital Foundation, Women In Need and more.
Live Entertainment in 2022
On most nights there are one or two performances put on in the square. These are also free and a fun addition to the event. In 2022 there is live entertainment every day (with the exception of Christmas Day). The 2022 schedule is below.
- Thursday, December 15th: Songhees Nation and Vinyl Wave
- Friday, December 16th: A-Zink Dance and Cookeilidh
- Saturday, December 17th: Nick LaRivere & Best Laid Plans and Wong Sheung Kung Fu Club Lion Dancing
- Sunday, December 18th: Linden Singers and Passion and Performance Arts Inc.
- Monday, December 19th: Asmira Dance, Jaimey Hamilton and Veselka Dancers
- Tuesday, December 20th: Soul 62 Band and Carollers
- Wednesday, December 21st: Triple Threat Performers and Morien Jones Duo/Trio
- Thursday, December 22nd: Menorah Lighting
- Friday, December 23rd: Chris Millington Quartet
- Saturday, December 24th: The Festival Brass
- Monday, December 26th: The Islander Hot Club
- Tuesday, December 27th: Edelweiss Dancers and Peter McMaster
- Wednesday, December 28th: Jaya Bremer Quintet
- Thursday, December 29th: An & Ben and Irish Flashmob
- Friday, December 30th: Kaleidoscope Theatre and Vinyl Wave
- Saturday, December 31st: Capital City Syncopators and West Coast Soul Collective
Lights of Wonder Video
For an idea of what the Lights of Wonder looks like, check out the following video. It shows scenes of the attraction from 2021.
For more information about the event visit the Lights of Wonder website.
Other articles that might be of interest include the following:
- Light Up the City
- Victoria Santa Light Parade
- Butchart Gardens at Christmas
- Victoria Festivals and Events